When You Fracture Your Pelvis, Your Modesty Goes Out the Window


My husband and I have been happily married for 45 years, and after I fractured my pelvis, I realized that he would be seeing me totally naked in the light of day since there was so much I couldn't do for myself when I got home from the hospital.  Some couples are comfortable with being naked with each other in the day time, but I'm not.  I've gained about 20 pounds in the last two years and have been trying to hide it from my husband. He hasn't said anything about it because he's a nice guy.  And has learned, sometimes the hard way, what to say and what not to say after all this time of being together.

But still--I've definitely got some negative body issues. 

To get through this rehabilitation, your modesty has to go out the window.  You will find that your husband or caregiver is going to have to help you get in and out of the shower, pull up your panties after you get up from the toilet, and help you dress. It's humiliating and depressing, but you have to tell yourself that it's temporary.  My doctor told me that it takes 4-6 weeks before the pain goes away, and up to 3 months to be totally healed. 

You have to be patient and so does your caregiver.

For us, getting me in and out of the shower is not an easy thing to do.  Our house is over a hundred years old and the shower is so small that only one person can be inside.  I found that the best way to get inside without slipping, we had to first put a towel on the shower floor.  Next, we had to get the walker inside. After that I have to step up to the threshold and lean on the walker to raise up my good leg, then I have to get the bad leg over and balance myself in the shower so I don't slip.  

After that, the towel on the shower floor is soaking wet; but we'll handle that later. For now, I have to learn to get out of the shower without falling.

It's not easy. But it's temporary, right?  Let that be your mantra. 


No comments:

Post a Comment