Help! I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up


In the back of our minds, I suppose all of us 60+ ladies with our thinning bones have at least one time thought about what it might be like if we fell and couldn't get back up. It's our worst fear; at least it was one of my biggest fears. What if I were all alone, broke my hip, and couldn't crawl to the phone to call 911?

Well, a week ago, my day had come.  I had mopped the bathroom floor earlier in the morning and left the weight watchers' scale in the hallway while the floor dried.  I went about my business, doing other tasks, and forgot all about that darned scale in the hall.  Until--my foot got stuck underneath the lip of the scale and I lost my balance. 
My arms flailed about, trying to keep my balance when Bam!  I first landed on my arm, and then with a thud, crashed down on my left hip.

The pain was absolutely searing! I'd never felt anything like it. I couldn't move, let alone crawl to the phone to call for help. I lay there helpless until my husband came home. Horrified by the way I looked, he tried to help me sit up. After about an hour, I finally was able to sit against the wall. Another hour passed before I could prop myself up on the bed, after piling the cushions from the sofa in a heap and inching myself further up.

I feared that I had broken my hip and fell apart crying, knowing that I'd have to go to the hospital. 

So began my journey back to health. Follow me in this blog as I document my sometimes funny, sometimes depressing, ways I've chosen to cope with this worst-case scenario.


No comments:

Post a Comment